Coffee Shop Web Workers
Recently as the team at the day job has expanded desk space has been at a premium. As my role is pretty autonomous I often work from home or my favourite local coffee shop, which in my case is Starbucks in Bath.
Since the introduction of the Starbucks Card it’s been possible to stretch out a coffee or two and enjoy pretty reliable free wi-fi whilst working in the comfort of screaming children, tourists, school kids enjoying excessively large cream topped drinks and other web workers crafting the next big thing. I actually find it strangely conducive to work.
Unlike some I don’t find working at home that difficult but it’s nice to actually get up in the morning and head out of the house (to leave your own screaming kids behind for some others). Normally I end up working out of Starbucks 1.5 days a week.
The other great thing about Starbucks is that for every hot drink you buy you are entitled to a free tall drip coffee. OK I admit it’s not the best, especially when the earn has been stewing for a few hours, but it certainly reduces the need to buy a fresh drink!
Web Workers Coffee Shop Survey
This is far from a scientific survey but I thought it would be interesting to find out more about my fellow coffee shop web workers. Here are four quick questions, feel free to chime in and leave your thoughts in the comments.
- Which coffee shop do you work out of the most?
- What’s your signature drink?
- If you stay for a day how many coffees/drinks/food items do you generally buy (feel obliged to buy)?
- What’s your top tip for working in a coffee shop?
- Starbucks Bath
- Grande Americano with hot milk (hot milk keeps it warmer for longer)
- Two per session (i.e AM or PM). I’ll buy one and enjoy the free drip afterwards
- Work out where the power sockets are and get in early to secure your spot.