A Fresh Lick of Paint
Having announced my departure from the “day job” I thought it was about time to update my own personal site to reflect my new found employment status.
Of course I have known I was leaving for a while so have been grabbing a few hours here, a few minutes there to bring this site up to date. There’s still some content to add in, in particular on the new Project Portfolio pages, but it’s slowly getting there.
For anyone who is interested here are a few technical details about the newly revised theme:
- I decided to go full tilt into HTML5. It’s been fun trying to get my head into the new elements. HTML5 Doctor is a good friend.
- I took advantage of Google Web Fonts for the first time. The main title text is in Droid Serif.
- The new Projects Portfolio page uses a custom post type in WordPress. This is the first time I have tried this out in anger and although rather “code” heavy it worked out well. I tried adding in a custom taxonomy but for some reason and despite being an admin I get a “cheatin h’uh” error when trying to view them. This started to happen after I upgraded to 3.1.
- I also added in one level of nested comments. I have been meaning to do this for a while and toyed with the idea of using Disqus. However in the end I decided to stay native as I prefer the moderation tools in WordPress.
- The icons are now culled from the excellent Pictos sets by Drew Wilson
- I have a new logo, courtesy of Mike
- I used the excellent jQuery Masonry to tile the panels on the Projects page
- I toyed with numerous contact form plugins and still couldn’t find a simple enough one that was flexible. Any recommendations welcome.
- Caching is on and it’s running nice and fast!
There’s still a few more tweaks to do and some “bugs” to fix but overall it’s nice to have it live on the site.